Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Megalon a.k.a. Tommy Gunn

I figured I'd take the opportunity to upload this lost gold while I had my record player hooked up to the computer from uploading that Purling Hiss track. This is the b-side to a 12" by one of my favorite rappers of all time, Megalon (a.k.a. Tommy Gunn). He was in Monsta Island Czars, whose album Escape From Monster Island is considered to be a classic by many. I have always been more interested in his solo work, of which there is precious little available for how good he is and how long he's been doing his thing. His album "A Penny For Your Thoughts" is easily one of my favorite hiphop albums ever and one of my favorite albums period.
  Megalon AKA Tommy Gunn - Peace To The Homeless by RemLezar
I made this one available for download this time.

6 comments:

  1. Megalon is ill, dude's flow may turn people off but it's original.

    Got a question for you, you know where this freestyle is from, by any chance?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz84QVGdzVc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, I haven't heard MF Doom rap like that in a decade.
    This freestyle is not from any Megalon/Tommy Gunn release that I'm aware of, or any X-Ray release that I'm aware of. Also, maybe Megalon is freestyling on this, but that MF Doom verse is from a track on Operation Doomsday.
    Let me know if you figure this out! I will also continue to try, Megalon is one of my all-time favorites and this is gonna drive me nuts now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt, 'preciate the effort. I tried searching all his releases too and nothin' came up. Yeah Doom's verse is from Doomsday but honestly I don't even care about his, I wanted that for Megalon's verse.

    On a side note, here's a little article profiling him I came across while searchin' some more. Not sure if you've seen it before, cool read though.

    http://www.coolehmag.com/frontEnd/feature.php?i=6&s=27

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great article, thank you. There is way too little info available on him, this article pretty much explains why though.
    To a lesser extent, I wouldn't mind finding more info on Ray Long as well. I've only been able to hear what he did on those 2 X-Ray compilations and The Nickel Bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. [Almost two years later]

    Apparently it's off some comp. named "SuperMiscellany" http://blademp3.com/mp3/12bfaae_Freestyle-wMegalon.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peace from south africa heres a link to Tommy Gunn and Ray Long

    https://www.mediafire.com/file/ca1306o9lhdvhy1/Tommy_Gunn_%2526_Ray_Long_-_The_Nickel_Bag.zip/file

    ReplyDelete